Monday, April 28, 2014

Writing Process Blog Hop

I was tagged by my friend Sonia Gensler to be a part of the Writing Process blog hop. She's an incredible writer and I'm lucky to have her in my critique group, so we get to share about our writing process with each other. Here goes! 


What are you working on?
Right now I'm working on a semi-romantic comedic chick lit type book. It's been fun to write and I am also actively working on stopping myself from editing too much as I go... something I know better than to do, but there you go. I have some children's picture books that I've been scratching away at for most of my adult life, they are in various forms of completion. Along with that, periodically I write for local publications and of course, blogs.

I'm also working on several editing projects, which puts my writing on the back burner for a little while. I try to make progress each week, but some weeks are better than others.  

How does your work differ from other of its genre?
First of all, because I wrote it. It sounds like me and I have a unique voice I've worked very hard on. Plus, I've got a story within a story thing going that's really fun to write--and read.

I think with anything I work on, that's what I bring to the table, what every writer brings to the table--a unique voice and perspective. It's what makes people want to read your writing.

Why do you write what you do?
This story came to me when I was struggling to focus on another project--truly a project that's been in the works for years as I untangle the storylines in my head. I'm writing it because I can't not write it.

No matter what I write, I try to find that thing that connects me to it, that brings the passion out of me into the project. Even a service article about a seemingly dry subject--I have to find that connection to write it so someone will want to read it. That can't be discounted. 

How does your writing process work?

My writing process is as all over the place as my writing interests. I have outlines and notecards and character studies and a giant whiteboard made from an upcycled poster frame. Fiction writing is fun for me because I've been able to write scenes and put them aside, so it can be a very non-linear process.

For non-fiction pieces, I compile all of my notes and interviews, highlight and then read them, let the information rumble in my head for a few hours and then spill it out. The beginning of the piece is the hardest part for me, getting that perfect entry point into the story that compels a reader to latch on. If it's a blog post, it's something that is either stuck in my brain and I chew on it for so long that I have to spit it out by writing or I'm struck so quickly by something I can't not write it.

I carry Moleskine notebooks and Bic Crystal pens with me everywhere so I can write with my preferred instruments when the mood strikes.


Now to the "hop" part! Next Monday (May 5), another writer friend has graciously agreed to be the next stop on the hop. Please stop over at Lisa Marotta's blog (The Feelings Doctor) for a peek into her process. She's a wonderful person and a great writer and you won't be sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment