Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Action!

... As I ask a few more questions, it emerges that he hasn't actually written it yet. ... "That's the challenge, isn't it? ... actually knuckling down and getting the thing on paper ..."
-- from Alys, Always, by Harriet Lane
This passage struck me. Because it's true, isn't it? That's the hardest part about being a writer, the actual writing. I mean, aside from the editing. And the generating of all the fantastic ideas. The commitment of sitting down and getting on with it already.


This applies to so many areas of life--that Just Do It! attitude, a simple marketing message really but it means so much more. I apply it to all areas of my life.

As in ...
I won't exercise until I actually get up, get dressed and get moving.
I won't write until I sit down and bang it out.
I won't get that edit done until I do it.

Those three little words have served me well in the past. While bemoaning the fact that I never learned to play guitar, a voice in my head whispered: "just do it!" So I bought a guitar from a pawn shop and taught myself some chords. I'm not necessarily a guitar player in the strictest sense of the word, but I've played guitar. I just did it.

In all areas of life they are the words that can help to propel you to do whatever it is you are so longing to do. Because really--how else will you actually do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment